For each book review I post on Smiling Shelves, I’ll include a list of those things that I absolutely loved about the book (well, only if it deserves them). For an absolutely amazing book, this will show what was so absolutely amazing about it. For a just plain good (or maybe not-so-good) book, this can show the redeeming features, things that were absolutely amazing even if the book as a whole is not. In other words, it doesn't have to be a five star book to have some 5* Elements.
Here are the general categories I’m thinking of right now:
- Lovable or fascinating or well-developed characters
- An interesting or twisty plot
- Learning (for the nonfiction books)
- Voice (I’m a sucker for a first-person narrative with a good voice.)
- Wonderful writing
- Atmosphere (This means a bit more than just the setting to me, but setting is a large part of it.)
- Deeper meaning
I’d love some feedback from you, especially as this system gets going. Does it work? Is it helpful? What are some other 5* Elements that you’d like to see?